U.S. Timeshare Industry: By the Numbers
$10.2 Billion—Size of the Industry
- 1,580 timeshare resorts in the U.S., 204,100 units – 129 units per resort on average
- Comparable to the $9 billion in revenue for Major League Baseball and the $8 billion music industry
9.6 Million—Number of U.S. Households That Own 1 or More Types of Product(timeshare weeks, points, fractional and/or Private Residence Club)
- 64% are married
- Average age of an owner is 44 years old
- 11% of timeshare owners earn $100K or more
$21,455—Average Price of a Timeshare Interval
$80.7 Billion—Contribution to U.S. Economy
540,410 full- and part-time jobs
- More than $29.9 billion in income and wages
- Approximately $10.8 billion in tax revenue
$7.2 Billion—Amount Spent by Timeshare Owners & Guests during Timeshare Stays
- Approx. $2.88 billion spent onsite at resorts.
- $4.35 billion was spent off-site in the communities where the timeshare resorts are located.
80.8%—Average Timeshare Occupancy
- 44% of occupants were owners or owners’ guests; 14% were exchange guests; 17% were renters; and 6% were marketing guests.
- Comparatively, hotel occupancy was 66.2% in 2018, according to Smith Travel Research.
12.1 Million—Number of Nights Rented at Timeshare Resorts
- 84% of timeshare resorts offer some type of rental program.
- Reflects $2.4 billion in revenue
For in-depth research reports including the State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry, the Economic Impact of the Timeshare Industry on the U.S. Economy and the Shared Vacation Ownership Owners Report, visit the online store.
Sources: AIF State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry: United States Study, 2019 edition (reflecting 2018 data); AIF Economic Impact of the Timeshare Industry on the U.S. Economy, 2018 edition (reflecting 2017 data); AIF Shared Vacation Ownership Owners Report, 2018 edition (reflecting 2017 data)