U.S. Timeshare Industry: By the Numbers
$10.5 Billion—Size of the Industry
- 1,541 timeshare resorts in the U.S., 201,600 units – 131 units per resort on average
- Comparable to the $10.3 billion in revenue for Major League Baseball and the $10.3 billion in revenue for the recorded music industry
9.9 Million—Number of U.S. Households That Own 1 or More Types of Product(timeshare weeks, points, fractional and/or Private Residence Club)
- 67% are married or in a domestic partnership
- Average age of an owner is 39 years old
- 38% of timeshare owners earn $100K or more
$23,940—Average Price of a Timeshare Transaction
$73.1 Billion—Contribution to U.S. Economy
441,215 full- and part-time jobs
- Approximately $29.3 billion in income and wages
- Approximately $10.7 billion in tax revenue
$6.14 Billion—Amount Spent by Timeshare Owners & Guests during Timeshare Stays
- Approx. $1.57 billion spent onsite at resorts.
- $4.56 billion was spent off-site in the communities where the timeshare resorts are located.
77.6%—Average Timeshare Occupancy
- 46.9% of occupants were owners or owners’ guests; 10.0% were exchange guests; 14.9% were renters; and 5.7% were marketing guests.
- Comparatively, hotel total room inventory occupancy was 62.1% in 2022, according to Smith Travel Research.
11.6 Million—Number of Nights Rented at Timeshare Resorts
- 89% of timeshare resorts offer some type of rental program.
- Reflects $2.7 billion in revenue at an average price of $235 per night.
For in-depth research reports including the State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry, the Economic Impact of the Timeshare Industry on the U.S. Economy and the Shared Vacation Ownership Owners Report, visit the online store.
Sources: AIF State of the Vacation Timeshare Industry: United States Study, 2023 edition (reflecting 2022 data); AIF Economic Impact of the Timeshare Industry on the U.S. Economy, 2022 edition (reflecting 2021 data); AIF Shared Vacation Ownership Owners Report, 2022 edition